Tuesday, January 03, 2006

UK Riot Grrrl records and friends. : Yummy Fur


Taaadaaaa! I am starting backwards at the end of the alphabet just so when these records are all up on the site they will be listed in proper order.

A few of these records might be open for debate as to how they fit into the UK Riot Grrrl scene but damn it this is my list and I will associate as I see fit. That being said it makes sense to start with the one band who seems most out of place on my list o' records but keep reading because I explain why below.



Band: Yummy Fur
From: Scotland
Year: Much of the 90’s
Listen to them: here
Who: The line up changed 11 times but this website has kept track of it all very nicely.

Why did this band make my list? Some of you might be thinking this band isn’t Riot Grrrl at all but they were very much a part of that scene / time period of bands. Here is a quote from the band in an interview.

Q:How did the following grow?

“Fanzines were a big thing, yeah. I probably know exactly why it happened. The same year in 92, 93, riot grrrl really kicked off in a big way, and us and Lung Leg were friends with all of those bands, we ended up playing with Huggy Bear and all those sorts of bands, so Riot Grrrl did that, and fanzine culture, fanzine interviews"

Secondly:
Two members who joined for a bit in 1998 went on to form this little band called Franz Ferdinand : drummer Paul Thomson and singer/ guitarist Alex Kapranos Huntley.

Thirdly: Yummy Fur is a band name I see mentioned a lot lately, most recently on the Art Brut my space page .

Band site

Discography

Review: I am a little disappointed in myself because I thought at least I owned one record by Yummy Fur but alas I do not. I did find out that allmusic:

"Named after the genially bizarre comic book by Chester Brown, Scotland's the Yummy Fur are like the Glasgow equivalent of a crossbreeding experiment between the Fall and the terminally sarcastic Liverpudlians Half Man Half Biscuit. The songs are deliberately stripped down to their most basic elements, and singer/songwriter John McKeown's ranting, amelodic vocals have an undeniable resemblance both to Mark E. Smith's (without the telltale glottal stop at the end of every line) and Half Man's Nigel Blackwell. "