Monday, June 05, 2006

Looking back at 2006

I know we aren't half way through yet but when I started to feel like there were fewer than few records I have totally fallen head over heels for, I began to review my 2006 cd piles to hear just how right or wrong I was.

This will be a two part post. First the stuff that really dissapointed me and the cds I like enough to keep but suspect as best I will play them a few times a year.

The crash and burns least favorites of 2006:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Whirlwind Heat, First Nation, CSS, Arctic Monkeys, The Knife, Morningwood, Built to Spill, anything on Chicks on Speed Records and Rye Coalition.

Indifferent to:

Islands, Tapes ‘n Tapes, and Band of Horses.

The flings but not going steadies:

Clearlake - Amber- Domino
Dub Tractor - Hideout - Towerblock (shoegaze + dub = neat but repetitive)
Tunng - Mothers Daugter and Other Songs - Ace Fu
The Good Good - Furrows - Menlo Park (Don't think this is out yet)
Takagi Masakatsu - Journal for the People - cd+dvd - Carpark
Cibelle - The Shine of Dead Electric Leaves - Six Degrees Records
Human Television - Look At Who You Are Talking To - Gigantic Music
Rahim - Ideal Lives - Frenchkiss
Maximo Park - Missing Songs - Warp
Boris - Pink - Southern Lord
Moondog - S/T - Honest Jons (label site is under construction)
Loose Fur - Born Again in the USA - Drag City
Jason Collett - Idols of Exile - Arts and Crafts
Film School - S/T - Beggars Banquet
Electric President - S/T - Morr
Kokanko Sata - S/T - Honest Jons (label site is still under construction)
Liars - Drums Not Dead - Mute
Cat Power - The Greatest - Matador
Flin Flon - Dixie - Teenbeat
Robert Pollard- From A Compound Eye - Merge

Tomorrow I will post my favorite records of 2006 (so far).